Chronology of Cities, Towns and Townships in Hamilton

Township Histories

Ancaster

The township of Ancaster was named after Ancaster, in Lincolnshire, England, 30 km south of the city of Lincoln. This township was established originally in Lincoln Township in 1792 and became part of Wentworth County in 1816. The Town of Ancaster was first known as Wilson’s Mills after James Wilson who built saw and grist mills there in 1791.

Barton

The township of Barton was named after Barton upon Humber in Lincolnshire, England, opposite the city of Kingston upon Hull. This township was established originally in Lincoln Township in 1791 and became part of Wentworth County in 1816. As the city of Hamilton began expanding east and south it began annexing portions of Barton Township and completed the annexation of the township in 1960 at which time the name disappeared from the map.

Beverly

The township of Beverly was named after the town of Beverly in East Yorkshire, England, 12 km north west of Kingston upon Hull. This township was established in 1792. In 1802 it became part of the Home District. When the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was created in 1974 the township of Beverly was absorbed by Flamborough.

Binbrook

The township of Binbrook was named after Binbrook in Lincolnshire, England, 40 km north east of the city of Lincoln. This township was established originally in Lincoln Township in 1791 and became part of Wentworth County in 1816. The town of Binbrook was originally known as Hall’s Corners after Squire Hall, in whose store the post office was located in 1848. When Regional Government was implemented in 1974 the townships of Binbrook and Glanford were amalgamated to form the municipal township of Glanbrook in the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth.

Dundas

Dundas was named after Henry Dundas, Viscount Melville, Secretary of State for the Home Department from 1791 to 1801. The town was laid out in 1797 and originally called Coote’s Paradise after Captain Thomas Coote. Dundas was incorporated as a town in 1847 and retained its status as an incorporated town in the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth.

Flamborough

The township of Flamborough was named after Flamborough Head and the town of Flamborough in East Yorkshire, England. This township was established in 1792. In 1816 it became part of Halton County and remained there until 1854 when the townships were transferred to Wentworth County. When Regional Government was implemented in 1974 the townships of East and West Flamborough, the town of Waterdown and the Township of Beverly were amalgamated to form the town of Flamborough in the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth.

Glanbrook

When the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was created in 1974 the two townships of Binbrook and Glanford were amalgamated as Glanbrook.

Glanford

The township of Glanford was named for the parish of Glanford Briggs in Lincolnshire, England, 40 km north of the city of London. This township was established originally in the County of Lincoln in 1793 and transferred to Wentworth County in 1854. When Regional Government was implemented in 1974 the townships of Binbrook and Glanford were amalgamated to form the municipal township of Glanbrook in the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth.

Hamilton

The city of Hamilton was named after George Hamilton (1788-1836) who set out the first plan of the town about 1820. The area was first known as The Head-of-the-Lake for its location at the western end of Lake Ontario. Hamilton was incorporated as a town in 1833. Hamilton was incorporated as a city in 1846. As Hamilton expanded it annexed portions of Ancaster Township to the west, portions of Saltfleet Township to the east and portions of Barton Township to the east and south, eventually annexing all of Barton Township by 1960. When Regional Government was implemented in 1974 the city of Hamilton became part of the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth.

Saltfleet

The township of Saltfleet was named for Saltfleet in Lincolnshire, England, 25 km south east of the town of Grimsby. This township was established originally in Lincoln Township in 1791 and became part of Wentworth County in 1816. In 1974, when the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was created the Township of Saltfleet was annexed by the town of Stoney Creek. The town incorporated as the city of Stoney Creek in 1984.

Stoney Creek

Stoney Creek was likely named after the creek which flows into Lake Ontario, although claims have been made that it was named after either Jim Stoney, a trapper or storekeeper or after Edmund Stoney, an Anglican priest. The Post Office opened in 1827 as Stony Creek and the name was changed in 1832 to Stoney Creek. Stoney Creek annexed Saltfleet Township when the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was created in 1974 and was incorporated as a city in 1984.

Waterdown

Waterdown was named in 1840 after the site where Grindstone Creek plunges over the Niagara Escarpment at Great Falls. It may have been named by Ebenezer Culver Griffin who settled here in 1823 and laid out village lots in 1831. In 1974, when the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth was formed it was included in the new Town of Flamborough.

Wentworth

The County of Wentworth was named for Sir John Wentworth (1737-1820) who was the Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia from 1792 to 1808. The County was named in 1816. It eventually consisted of the Townships of Ancaster, Barton, Beverly, Binbrook, Flamborough (East and West), Glanford and Saltfleet as well as the city of Hamilton. In 1974 the county was restructured as the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth.

Search form

Cancel